Thursday, June 20, 2013

DIY {Laundry} Detergent

 So I ran across this recipe in April 2012 for "Homemade Laundry Detergent". The blog writer stated that it only cost $20 and lasted her family for several months. Well, this really got my attention. As a family of 5, and spending an easy $11-$15.00 a week for laundry detergent, I really wanted to try it. So, we did and it lasted us for 9 mo. Yes, you heard me right. 9 MONTHS!! US, a family of 5 used this detergent, washed at least 2 loads a day and it lasted us for 9 mo. And yep, it only cost roughly $20.00. (Actually a little less) We are on our second batch. So, since April 2012, We have spent $40.00 on laundry detergent. Man, I don't know about you, but that stinkin' excited me.

Ok, enough talk...here's the recipe.

Recipe:



1 4 lb., 12 oz. box Borax (2.15 kg or 76 oz)

1 4 lb. box Arm & Hammer Baking Soda (1.81 kg)

1  box Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda 55 oz. (3 lb 7 oz)

3-4 bars of Fels-Naptha soap,

2 small containers of Oxy Clean or store brand Oxy Clean (try to get about 3.5 lbs total (1.58 kg)

Makes 5 gallons of powder detergent
                                      
  *I get all my ingredients at Wal-mart (All found in the detergent isle)

** Use about 1-2 tablespoons per load. I use 1 for everyday laundry and 2 tablespoons for my hubbies yucky dirty work clothes. I know this may not seem like a lot but this detergent is super strength and is not loaded with fillers like the big name brands.

Instructions:

Get a large container like a 5 gallon bucket or the large storage containers. Empty all ingredients into your bucket a little at a time. (I alternate between each ingredient to keep from having to stir as it can be difficult.) Shave or grade the Fels-Naptha soap bar as you go. (I use a cheese grater. Just be sure to rinse thoroughly as you don't want your cheese tasting like soap). Be sure it is stirred/mixed well. Store is an air tight container.

I mix my detergent in a large container and then add it to my detergent container I store on top of my washer.


*This detergent is safe for front loading HE washers. You just have to add it to the barrel and NOT the laundry soap dispenser.

Here is a link to the original blog Being Creative to Keep My Sanity. There are over 370 comments/questions about washers, scents and other bar soaps on her blog. And of course, feel free to leave any comments or questions here.

Disclaimer: Please use at your own risk!

If you are going to share this recipe and blog about it, please use the unwritten blogging rule and please add a link back to my blog.  Give credit where credit it due! Thanks

I used my Cricut to cut the letters for my laundry container.

No comments:

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin
"I count myself one of the number of those who write as they learn and learn as they write." -John Calvin