Monday, August 4, 2008

Homeschool Intro

We are beginning our 4th year of homeschooling. As I look back over the years, I can't believe that I am sitting in this seat. I ran from homeschooling ever since our oldest(son) was 3. My husband talked to me about homeschooling but I told him I couldn't do it. I could not wait to get my kids in school and get back to my career in the business world. The world in which I thought I belonged. We put Dylen in the public school system here in Chattanooga. He had problems right off the bat. He finished K5 and then off to a really rough start with 1st. His teacher was unbelievable. I could not believe some of the things that were coming out of her mouth to me and to my son. He was always in trouble, said he was bored, didn't want to add any more because he already knew how to do it. After consulting several Phd's, M.D.'s and counselors, all said that there was nothing physical wrong with Dylen, just intelligent. I asked his pediatrician what was I going to do, He said "Finish first grade by the skin of your teeth standing on your head." It was now March and I knew he was correct. After the summer was over and time to register for the new school year, we met his teacher. I went home and cried the rest of the afternoon. I went to the school the next day and un-registered him and his sister. I knew then that I had to try homeschool. I had tried it my way and now it was time to try God's. I told God that he had 2 years and He needed to show up and help me with this. I reminded him that His Will would not lead me where His Grace can not keep me. He has taught me so much about my kids. He is the one teaching them, not me, I'm just the conductor.

Well after just 2 years, I began to really enjoy my kids. I loved to teach them. I found myself happy. I still struggle like all homeschool moms do. Am I teaching them enough? Are they learning the right thing? Will I ever get to do anything by myself? When will dad get home so I can leave? I have found so much joy in just being obedient. I learned so much about myself the first year. I think I learned more than the kids did. God is still teaching me. I'm not perfect by no means. I have just learned to trust Him no matter what comes my way. God really knows what he is doing. He is our heavenly Father and he really does love us more than anything or anybody ever could.

Thank you my Jesus, for loving me and giving me the Faith that I need to please you. Everyday is another faith walk with you. You are such a BIG GOD!

No comments:

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin
"I count myself one of the number of those who write as they learn and learn as they write." -John Calvin